RSS

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

SUNDAY BLUES!

It is truly extraordinary what one can face in this modern life. The world moves upside down. The once vitamin enriched sunlight is now one of the biggest concerns of skin disorder. The 9 to 6 jobs have now become the 2 to 11 jobs. We sleep during the day to keep awake at night. We take time out of our schedule to carry out our evening walks but take out cars out to buy groceries at the local vendors which is one block away. The lesser the clothes the more affluent the person!


And in this, mad world which I am very much a part of; I faced something even more extraordinary than I have ever heard anyone face. At work I always face the pressures of my boss sitting next to me not restricting me to achieving completion of a project- it is worse than having to complete a project within a deadline. Hence I always wait for the glorious weekend; not because I was fatigued by work; but I just couldn’t wait to get back home and do things which I could set deadlines; complete pending projects and slog like a workaholic.

But, my last weekend was the first, and might I also add in last of its kind, that I would not be going home. Rather, I would stay back in the garden city to savor the much hyped weekend life. So I set out to chalk out my schedule. Well I must say! It was the most fun I had in the office, for once I wasn’t bored by the routine research that I was doing for the project, nor did I yawn even once! So there I was on ‘Google’ typing furiously, all the combinations possible for the list of events in Bangalore on a Friday night. To my utter delight I found plays, movies, concerts, buffets, exhibitions, fairs etc… the list was endless and my joy threefold!

I jotted down every event I could get my hands on, then scanned about each one of them, making a detailed report on the cost analysis, feasibility, strategic movement, list of people who would be interested to accompany me, I get references and cross checked every single one. Then at the end of the day I decided to finally put the plan into action:

It was going to be- A one hour play in Ranga Shankara, followed by dinner and drinks in a pub (maybe also a little dancing) on FRIDAY NIGHT.

I was going to sleep in till late afternoon on SATURDAY (to catch up on all the lost sleep during the week, then a quick lunch at this steak house called ‘The Only Place’ followed by a funny movie ( depends on what was playing at that time, and finally catching up with old friends over dinner.

And SUNDAY was again going to be a complete bliss when I’d hangout at the mall all by myself and then maybe visit my cousin who said we would ‘catch up over the weekend’ and then hang out with her till I lost track of time, then come back home late night and then drift away into my blissful contended sleep!

AAAAHhhhh…..what could be better than THE PERFECT PLAN?

Well the answer to that question is REALITY!! Which I can now say is a COMPLETE BITCH!

So as I left the office on Friday my friend calls up and says, “Hey gal lets catch a late night movie. I want to watch LSD.” So I agree and get dressed to meet up at this cafĂ© on Brigade and there we were served the most scrumptious dinner of all; best Spaghetti Bolognese ever, and hands down the best Chicken Tikka Sandwich. And though I was promised the best blueberry cheesecake well lets jus say there will be a next time.

After the dinner we walk down to watch LSD. And if you want a review of the movie, well that will be a whole other post. So I head home after the movie and drift off into this amazing well deserved sleep I hear a loud banging. I pretended not to hear it and did not budge a centimeter from my bed.

“BANG...BANG…BANG….HELLLLLLLOOOOO!!!”

Now who the $%&^ could that be at this early hour in the morning? I opened my eyes and checked the time it was barely 9 in the morning. MY GOD!!!! When did I sleep?

“HOUSEKEEPING!!!”

I was hoping if I didn’t make a sound she’d just walk away and after 5 minutes of screaming she did walk away only now she came back quicker than she left with my landlord. As soon as I heard him I decided that it was only sensible of me to let her in and she was in and out of my place in less than 4 minutes. But my sleep was ruined!

Then I decided to get up and text my cousin to check if she was free, and this was her reply verbatim:

‘Hi I’m going out to a relative’s house today for a Pooja and we will be busy tonight as we have to visit some family.’

Whatever! So I decided to hang out in the mall all day all by myself. Well shopping was fun but there is a rule which I forgot- ‘the greater the depression, the more money you blow.’ I actually didn’t realize how lonely I was till I came out of the mall, 4k POORER!

OK. Not that bad I could allow myself to a treat once in a while and half my bill was just lunch and gifts for my friend and sister.

I reach home at 5 and realize I have nothing to do! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! So I decide to watch a couple of episodes of F.R.I.E.N.D.S and suddenly I get a call from a friend to accompany him for a movie ‘The Book of Eli’. Not that I remotely liked action movies or anything, but I just wanted to get the hell out of my home.

Well I realized the movie was the biggest mistake of my life! For one I hated it, and then I got teased by two of his friend’s about my figure. BIG TURN OFF. Then I decided to go out for dinner with him, only to realize that his friends were coming along. So I made a silly excuse and walked back home and watched more F.R.I.E.N.D.S throughout the night, only to wake up to a bland Sunday and realize I still had nothing to do. So I walk down to Brigade do some grocery shopping buy 2 packets of MOMO’s and 2 doughnuts and just as I am about to gobble the food down I get a text from another cousin asking me what I was doing. As soon as I texted her that I was lunching that was the end of our conversation. So all of SUNDAY I sat alone at home brooding over what could have been a perfect weekend, how none of my friends cared enough to include me in their plans, how no one called to check in on me ( except MOM, but, that just aggravated the pain of loneliness more) and how all those people who said

“HEY GAL STAY BACK A WEEKEND IN BANGALORE NA, PLEASE, WE’LL CATCH UP, GO PARTYING OR CLUBBING, OR YOU CAN COME OVER AND STAY AT HOME, OR LETS MAKE SOME PLANS TO SPEND THE DAY IN MYSORE, OR LETS CATCH UP OVER THE WEEKEND, OR LETS GO FOR A LONG DRIVE, OR LETS MEET UP, OR LETS TRY OUT ALL THE RESTAURANTS, OR LETS GO SHOPPING”

didn’t follow up on any of their plans, just made me realize that -

I WALK A LONELY ROAD!!

Now you must be wondering what I’m doing the coming weekend after facing the lowest point’s of my life?

Well, I’m on ‘Google’ again; but only this time I’m busy booking the seats for busses leaving for home, EVERY FRIDAY till the end of MAY!

2 comments:

zak said...

ohhh hooooooooo!!! so now i came to know the truth!!! great:-)

neat job:-)

Yula said...

Zak, its me...extra mirchi and masala...always....but if it wasnt for u how wud i even write this post...thanks for a wonderful weekend!